License to Carry FAQs
- 1. What are the requirements for obtaining a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
Texas Government Code Chapter 411, Subchapter H sets out the eligibility criteria that must be met. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age (unless active duty military) and must meet Federal qualifications to purchase a handgun. Several factors may make individuals ineligible to obtain a license, such as: felony convictions, some misdemeanor convictions, including charges that resulted in probation or deferred adjudication; certain pending criminal charges; chemical or alcohol dependency; certain types of psychological diagnoses, and protective or restraining orders. The state eligibility requirements can be found in GC §411.172. The federal firearms disqualifiers can be found in 18 USC 44 §922.
You must also submit a completed application, pay the required fees, complete all required training and submit required supplemental forms and materials.
- 2. What type of class/training is required to obtain a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
An applicant may attend a 4-6-hour LTC classroom training and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor. Once qualified, you may carry openly or concealed. It is only necessary to take the class one time as long as you renew within one year after expiration. The initial Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) is initially valid for four years and renewal licenses are valid for five years.
- 3. What do I need to bring to my license to carry class?
- Handgun (any caliber)
- 50 rounds of ammo (no reloads) (ammunition must be in its original box)
- Ear protection (over the head or inside the ear)
- Eye protection (safety glasses, sunglasses or prescription glasses)
- Hat like a baseball cap or visor (recommended but not mandatory)
- Appropriate attire for shooting (no low cut or "V" neck shirts and no open toe shoes)
- 4. What if I don’t have a handgun to take to the LTC class?
We offer handgun rentals if you don’t have a handgun to take to the LTC class. Price for the rental is $25 and includes 50 rounds of ammunition required to take the handgun proficiency test. Please note, each individual taking the class will require their own handgun.
- 5. What topics are covered during an LTC class?
- Laws that relate to weapons and the use of deadly force
- Handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns
- Non-violent dispute resolution
- Proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child
- Training material related to the safe storage of handguns may be found on Safe Storage (PDF)
- 6. What documentation will I receive upon completion of the LTC classroom and/or handgun proficiency (shooting) training?
You will be provided with Certificate of Training (LTC 100) form, upon successful completion of the classroom and handgun proficiency training with a Qualified LTC Instructor.
- 7. How much does it cost to obtain or renew a License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
Both the standard fee and renewal fee for LTC is $40. However, Texas law provides for some discounts if you meet certain special conditions. A complete list of fees along with the special conditions can be found at https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/documents/LTCFeeSchedule.pdf
NOTE: Fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable. If an application is not approved, the fees will not be refunded.
- 8. How do I apply for a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
First-time applicants for an LTC should submit an online application and schedule an appointment for fingerprinting. Applicants must also complete four to six hours of classroom training, pass a written examination and pass a proficiency demonstration (shooting) to apply for your license follow the link https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/
- 9. How do I schedule my finger prints and is there a cost?
There is a fee charged for fingerprint services, usually around $10. Follow the link https://uenroll.identogo.com/ enter code 119Q91 or you can go to your email after submitting your application and look for an email from IdentoGO and follow the steps.
- 10. Where do I submit my LTC 100 and any additional required documentation (Mil ID, Permanent Resident card etc.)
- 11. Can I take the LTC class if I am under 21?
You may take the class as long as you turn 21 within two years of the class date but you will have to wait until you turn 21 before submitting your online application. Active duty military members at least 18 years of age are exempt from the standard age requirement of 21 and can take the class, apply and receive their license to carry at 18 years of age.
- 12. Do I have to be a Texas resident to get a license to carry?
Pursuant to Texas Government Code §411.173, legal residents of another state or persons who relocate to Texas with the intent to establish residency may obtain an LTC. Those individuals must submit an application, pay the required fees, successfully submit form LTC 100, two passport style photos and a copy of their out of state driver license or state issued identification card. Note, however, that all LTC applicants must be legal residents of Texas or another state.
- 13. Can non-US citizens obtain a License to Carry a Handgun?
Subject to the requirements of federal firearms law, and if not otherwise ineligible, resident aliens and certain nonimmigrant aliens who are legally present in the United States may obtain the license.
- 14. How do I replace a lost License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
You can obtain a replacement license by downloading and sending in form LTC 70 from http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-70.pdf. If you require additional assistance, please call the Handgun Licensing Division at 512.424.7293.
- 15. How do change the address on my License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
You can change the address on your LTC by logging in as a returning user on Texas DPS website at https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/. If you require additional assistance, please call the Handgun Licensing Division at 512.424.7293.
- 16. How do I change the name on my License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
You can change the name on your license by downloading and sending in form LTC 70 from http://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-70.pdf. If you require additional assistance, please call the Handgun Licensing Division at 512.424.7293.
- 17. I have a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC). Does this allow me to carry my handgun in another state?
If there is a reciprocity agreement with Texas, then you may be eligible to carry a handgun in the other state. A reciprocal agreement does not automatically authorize a Texas license holder to carry in another state. It is important to review the agreement for specific details or limitations. Reciprocal agreements and unilateral proclamations can be found at: https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/legal/reciprocity/index.htm
- 18. If I have a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) and I am traveling to another state with a reciprocal agreement, what are my responsibilities?
If you are in a state that has reciprocity with Texas, you must follow that state’s laws for carrying a handgun. The same responsibility applies to anyone from another state when traveling in Texas; they must follow Texas laws for carrying a handgun. Most states will have a website for their carry licenses or permits that specify their laws. Alternatively, you may contact the other state and ask what their laws are for carrying a handgun while in that state.FOR MORE TEXAS DPS FAQs FOLLOW